Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dulce de Leche Croissant Pudding

This is a post developed for Bakers Delight who has provided and paid for the ingredients used in this recipe.

Dulce de Leche Croissant pudding anyone?
Can I just say how excited I am about this recipe? Yeah like so excited I am jumping up and down as I type this and even a variance in my forecast is not really affecting me. I would not say that I am good at developing my own recipes so I am quite excited that I even thought of this. This was inspired from Nigella's caramel croissant pudding from Nigella's Express. I started to have an obsession with dulce de leche as I wanted to use the ice cream maker to make them. It also seems to be everywhere when I look, it's on Twitter.. oh look I made Dulce de leche. I also have a few South American colleagues and one who is Argentinian gave us some when her parents came to visit. Now this is a 2 step process so when you have some free time while watching Revenge you prep the Dulce first.I will share how I made it which is different from the boil the can method.

Dulce Prep
I did the oven baking method. Open the tin of condensed milk and pause to praise the existence of this amazing ingredient. Everyone join in ... Condensed milk is the most amazing thing ever canned. Pour into a pie plate like one I have above and sprinkle with some sea salt, cover with foil tightly. Put this pie plate into another oven roasting pan that it fits into. Fill roasting pan (NOT YOUR CONDENSED MILK PLATE!) with boiling water up to half the level of the pie plate. Bake at 180 degrees for about an hour. Check periodically and top with boiling water. Repeat after me: Do not do make this on one of those freaky 10 days over 30 degrees heatwaves. 

PRAISE CONDENSED MILK!

SO GOOD I CAN EAT THIS ALL RIGHT NOW
The top should be brown like my pictures above. Wait for the yumminess to cool and mix it up with a metal spoon. I might have cooked it for slightly too long (i forgot to set the timer) and the middle was a little hard, the texture had small rough crystals in it while the sides were nice and smooth. Honestly, it did not affect the taste. But I would check it at 45mins and then 10 minutes after next time I do it. Store this away and try not to eat it all. If you recall I do not eat much sweet things but my goodness I had to stop myself from grabbing a spoonful each time I walked past. Both Mick and I were like oh... just keep this away from me. This stores in the fridge for 2 weeks and the texture straight from the fridge is spreadable and not hard.

Pudding Prep
Now the pudding part and this is also not difficult, I made this up quite quickly. I used stale croissants, cut into half and spread generously with dulce de leche. Tear croissants up and all you need is the custard sauce base for the stale croissants to soak up. The possibilities here are endless. I could have added chocolate (yum) or I could also have sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on the top. But I went with the basic this time. 

Soak up the goodness
For the custard, I heated the milk, cream and sugar until the sugar has melted. Turn heat off, add the eggs and whisk quickly. Pour over the croissants and let it soak up the yumminess. Bake for 15-20 mins until top is golden brown.

Ingredients

Dulce de Leche 
1 tin of condensed milk 
Sea salt 
Add: Some patience to wait it out 

Pudding
2 Bakers Delight Croissants leave it overnight as you want them stale
Dulce de Leche you have prepared
1/2 cup milk (125ml)
1/2 cup cream (125ml)
1/2 cup sugar 
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs, beaten 

Method
Cut croissants into half, spread generously with Dulce de Leche goodness. Tear into pieces in an oven proof bowl. 
Prepare custard by warming milk and cream with sugar until it was melted. I did not wait for this to boil. You just want the sugar to be melted into the custard base. Turn the heat off and add your beaten eggs and whisk together with your cream mixture quickly. Pour over prepared croissants and prepare to be hit with yummy caramel smells.
Bake for 15-20mins in 180degree oven until golden brown. 

Resist urge to eat all of it in one go. Let me know what you think of my recipe! 

11 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing... very rich... decadent... argh... I'm going to have to make it hahahahaaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yuuuummm....thank goodness it doesn't take much to make the Dulce de Leche and I'm such a hero at making custard so OMG...I can feel my waistline expanding just from reading this yumminess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to mama! I love this recipe and condensed milk.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! I almost wish we didn't have two different weddings in the next few weeks. I'm trying hard to be good but I have to admit to bring a sugar addict...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evil. Pure evil. Why did I read this? Whyyyy?

    I am so making this. I'm powerless when it comes to dulce de leche. It looks amaaaaazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, right, so I don't know what it tastes like but it LOOKS amazing and I'm now dying to try this out!

    At least to make the Dulce de Leche. :P

    And I LOVE condensed milk, that stuff is the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm this looks really yummy! Can I use the excuse that I'm eating for two to justify making it all for myself?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loveeeee condensed milk and dulce de leche! Every time I make it for banoffee pie I end up trying to eat most of it with a spoon! This recipe looks dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. why you make me drool in the morning! and bahahaa "Add: Some patience to wait it out "

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY LORD that looks scrumptious. Dare I make it?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! I just came across your blog and I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog and (if you like) following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? We also have a giveaway going on right now! xx

    Blog: sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    Enter our current Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey stalkers.. leave a message so I know you've been stalking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...