Sunday, April 26, 2009

I love Apple Tea Cake!


Ooohhh the recipe is included below.

It is cold in Melbourne today. I have bought the change table padded thingee and I have the material to make a cover for it. Lucky for us Darn Cheap Fabric had a pretty aqua terry towelling material this time. The last time for the nappy change mat we had to use bright pink. I was afraid people might start to think that I am trying to turn Pork Chop into Carson off Queer Eye.

I have stumbled on the best apple cake recipe! I followed Tobie Puttock Apple & Cinnamon Cake recipe once but I did not like how the apples were on top of the cake. Not that I ate any!! This is the usual situation. I bake, look and admire and force poor Mick to eat the entire cake. He demanded no more buttery and sugary goodness so I started looking for an apple cake recipe that did not use 200g of butter. LOL!

So I improvised it, I diced a granny smith apple and caramelised it instead of layering slices on top of the cake batter. Mick just pointed out that I did not dice the apple, he did... So correction, get a hot male to dice the apple while you flutter your eyelashes at him. The cake would have a nice crunch baked top and soft apples are embedded inside.

The recipe is for an 8 inch round tin. I used a springform pan as it called for sugar and cinnamon to be sprinkled on top. I thought it would be the easiest way to get the cake out without spillage of sugar and cinnamon.

So here it goes...

95g butter
½ cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg
1¼ cups self raising flour
½ cup milk
1 granny smith apple, diced
Knob of butter - I think I used about 30 to 40g?
Dessert spoon of dark brown sugar

Cream butter and sugar. Beat the egg and vanilla essence into the mix.

Sift flour into the batter (recipe says to do it in 3 parts, s'if I did), mix briefly with spatula. Pour in the milk and mix together.

Cook diced apples until just soft and add to batter. I did not add the additional liquid into the cake batter as it would be too runny. Just take care when throwing in the apples not to add in too much of the brown sugar/butter liquid.

Bake for 180C.... The recipe said 30 to 35 mins. But quite honestly I did not time it. Pull it out when it looks cooked and test that it is cooked through. Sprinkle with caster sugar and cinnamon. Take springform off and yummmyyyyyyy cake awaits. As it was so cold, I think I only cooled it for about 15mins. And I was salivating! I am not a cake fan and tonight my husband and I shared two slices with cream on the side. It is soooo goood and a definite keeper!
I apologise for the bad picture, could not wait to take the digital SLR camera out to start eating this cake!

2 comments:

  1. LOL at the hot male. do you loan yours out? ;D

    brazen from eb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I asked.. he said it depends on the price. Heslut!

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey stalkers.. leave a message so I know you've been stalking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...