Sunday, April 12, 2009

Amy Butler Change Mat - Nappy Bag Pattern


I was a woman on a mission yesterday, I went to not one but TWO fabric stores to get the items for this change mat. I had bought the Amy Butler Nappy bag pattern as I wanted to make the change mat. Silly I know, but I have a fear of Amy Butler patterns as I have heard experienced sewers say that the bags are hard to sew. It was a hike up to South Morang Spotlight as I had to buy cotton batts. The pattern called for 2 panels of batts (19 x 25inches). When I was there, there were 10 people ahead of me and I was confused as heck with cotton batts. Who knew there were so many different ones?? I forgot to get terry toweling material and it was too late, I was the next customer. So off to Darn Cheap fabrics in Heidelberg to get terry toweling. Before people think that I am pink overloading my son, I have to add that it was the only colour that they had!

We got home with Heidelberg Pie shop pies (YUM! Chunky pepper) and guess what, I fell asleep. Who knew you could get so tired in the 3rd trimester? I snoozed for 4 hours until 7pm and awoke in a complete daze. So no sewing for me yesterday and I felt absolutely guilty!


This morning I had the best breakfast. Mick made eggs benedict with hollandaise sauce. Mmm free range eggs from the farmers market in Hurstbridge and butter. Lazed around a little to watch Sopranos marathon on W Channel. Picked up a lemon tree from The Greenery nursery on Banksia Road before I got down to some hard sewing. I rummaged in my box of cotton materials that my mum had given me and told Mick to pick one fabric that he liked. He picked a blue and white gingham material. In my head I was thinking that would look great against hot pink. LOL...


The pattern said to use two panels of cotton batts (19x25inch). I pinned two panels of batts to the terry towel material (19x25inch) and the top cotton material (19x25inch). It was too thick and I removed one layer of the batt. Sewed it together much easier this time. Turned it around, did the strap and sewed that on. I would trim the edges next time to 0.5cm if I do another one of these. It became too thick at the edges. This pattern is awesome and I have enough material for another one. One will stay in the car and the other we can leave it in his Orbit Baby pod bag. I was surprised that the pink and blue does go together!

4 comments:

  1. I bought that pattern a few years ago and am yet to even open the envelope! You have inspired me to get started on it, your mat looks great.

    Oh and those egs look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs were yummy but I could only eat 1 1/2 of them :) I am still scared of making anything from my In Stitches book. Let me know when you make your Nappy bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The eggs look soo yummy! I love eggs benedict... even better if someone makes them for you :-)

    The change mat looks great, and the pink definitely goes with the blue.

    Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up, the whole thing is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that's
    truly good, keep up writing.
    Also see my page :: lanautica.com

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey stalkers.. leave a message so I know you've been stalking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...