I received my "In Stitches" this week! It is eye candy indeed but Amy Butler's instructions were as I anticipated really detailed. I decided to not start with any of these new patterns and complete what I had intended to start MONTHS ago.
I bought this fabric last year from Ikea intending to make 3 matching cushion covers for the lounge room. I am a disgrace, it has taken about 4 months to get 3 zips that are the correct length for them. Not having anymore excuses ... I decided to bite the bullet. Actually I did indeed have one last excuse - I have no zipper foot for my machine. I spotted a low shank zipper foot on Ebay but I have not bought it yet! I decided to plough ahead. It has been about 14 years since I sewed a zip to anything! And I had forgotten how to do it properly, therefore the first one was a bit of a disaster. But Mick said it looks awesome... he properly ignored the big obvious bad stitching for the zip.
The before cushion covers are 3 ugly pastel covers. One is aqua, one purple and one yellow. Blahhhhhh looking and very old as you can tell from the ugly yellow one above. So I measured them and added 3cm for the seam allowance and prayed that I can figure this out without having to unpick anything. I get frustrated and hate unpicking anything, much to my grandma's disappointment - she's a perfectionist.
I cut out 3 cushions at the same time. It is kind of hard doing it sitting on the floor when I am this huge. Mick had to come rescue me by picking me up off the floor :)
These cushion covers are SO EASY to make. Of course the hardest part is pinning the zip and sewing the zip down without a zipper foot. But it took 30 mins once I figured it out, that includes pressing the seam up, sewing the zip and flipping it inside out. I am loving the new bold colour. And they finally match!!
Also on the baby booties front, I have located fusible web from Lincraft in Greensborough. Next week will be pouch baby sling weekend plus a pair of matching cotton booties perhaps!
55 minutes ago